Wednesday, February 16, 2005

poem

so i finally went and used that movie gift card chris got me for my birthday, using it not for Van Helsing, like i had intended, but for the movie 4 Weddings and a Funeral..which is a smashingly good flick, and filled with yummys such as being set in britain and having John Hannah as a gay man *swoon* his accent is stupendious *double swoon*
but here's the kicker..today in English we went over the poem that J. H. reads at that funeral mentioned in the title..all i could imagine was him speaking those lines with such emotion...his voice was choked with tears, and one could see the pain that lay so close to the surface of his mind...the thick scottish brogue he usually speaks in was amplified and it made the poem all the more emotional
here it is loves:

Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone,
Prevent the dog from barking with a juicy bone,
Silence the pianos and with muffled drum
Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come.

Let aeroplanes circle moaning overhead
Scribbling on the sky the message He Is Dead,
Put crêpe bows round the white necks of the public doves,
Let the traffic policemen wear black cotton gloves.

He was my North, my South, my East and West,
My working week and my Sunday rest,
My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
I thought that love would last for ever. I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now: put out every one;
Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;
Pour away the ocean and sweep up the wood.
For nothing now can ever come to any good.

1 Comments:

Blogger silver said...

*sniffle* what a wonderful voice, waht a wonderful speech, and indeed, what a wonderfully sappy, lovely movie

February 20, 2005 at 11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home